Best. Lede. Ever.
In an October 2016 editorial, The Atlantic wrote of Donald Trump: “He is a demagogue, a xenophobe, a sexist, a know-nothing, and a liar.” We argued that Trump “expresses admiration for authoritarian rulers, and evinces authoritarian tendencies himself.” Trump, we also noted, “is easily goaded, a poor quality for someone seeking control of America’s nuclear arsenal. He is an enemy of fact-based discourse; he is ignorant of, and indifferent to, the Constitution; he appears not to read.”
In retrospect, we may be guilty of understatement.
50 Moments That Define the Trump Presidency
This CES story includes banned sex toys, semi-magical diabetes monitoring, batteries for the blind, Golgafrinchians, and Adam B. Sherr. (Anonymously.)
CES 2019: Health, Home, and Other Products at the Sands – TidBITS
Article #3 with stuff I saw at CES, with 2 more in the pipeline and a sixth yet to be written. (I don’t know how those guys on 15-minute deadlines do it.) You would *think* that 10 days in Vegas would be enough time to play some pinball and get some poker in. You would be mistaken—I was.
CES 2019: ShowStoppers Demos Smart Ovens, Big Batteries, and More – TidBITS
If you or a loved one are a PR rep at CES, or if you just want to know how the sausage is made, some friendly advice.
An open letter to future CES PR people | The Vast Jeff Wing Conspiracy
Some things that won’t fit into my TidBITS coverage.
Scenes from CES 2019 | The Vast Jeff Wing Conspiracy
Still working my way through four more bags of things to write about, but here’s the report from the bag I finished:
CES 2019: Pepcom Shows Off Futuristic Displays and More – TidBITS
I will laugh my ass off if they lose any actual domains Some US government websites won’t load after HTTPS certificates expire during shutdown
If you want to use your phone in a waterfall, get an airbag for your bicycle, or go to the Moon, I got your hookup.
CES 2019: CES Unveiled Kicks Off the Annual Gadget-fest – TidBITS
First CES story up: CES’s 2019 Tech Trends: Big Data, 5G, AI, AR/VR, Autonomous Vehicles—and Bigger TVs – TidBITS
Ah, apparently we just have openly double standards now. New Democratic congresswoman Rashida Tlaib makes profane vow about Trump
“And I never chanted LOCK HER UP or created memes showing her in prison, but I did laugh a little at those memes, because the thought of this accomplished woman behind bars with all her agency stripped away from her was funny to me.” I Don’t Hate Women Candidates — I Just Hated Hillary and Coincidentally I’m Starting to Hate Elizabeth Warren
I never share videos, but mind, blown Viral World
Democrats now experiencing the feeling of waking up at 6 AM at age 7 and remembering it’s Christmas morning.
The new Congress: Pelosi retakes House gavel as shutdown continues
I can recommend a book. Anil Dash ? on Twitter
The alacrity with which Republicans are trying to paint AOC as rich is stunning. I really don’t get it; they frequently criticize us for hating the rich but now want to encourage it. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez on Twitter
Do Republicans know we can keep them as slaves? Maybe they’ll reconsider. Kyle Griffin on Twitter
?To the 95% of my friends who don’t get this joke: the other 5% are laughing *very* hard? Noah Veltman on Twitter
?Must read thread? Judy Brown on Twitter
Randomized controlled study with parachutes and backpacks Researchers Show Parachutes Don’t Work, But There’s A Catch